March 13, 2020
Updated march.16.2020- 2 pm
Waterbury Y will be closed as of 3 PM this afternoon. Out of an abundance of caution and for the health of our community members, and staff, the YMCA will remain closed until further notice. Our goal is to slow the spread of the virus and maintain public health. We are part of a community-wide effort. During our closure, we will do a deep clean of our facilities using approved disinfectants.
During this time the YMCA will continue ongoing communications with our members as we learn more information regarding our re-opening. Please continue to monitor our Website & Social Media for more updates.
AGAIN AS OF MARCH 16, 3 PM THE WATERBURY Y IS NOW CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE!
Continue to monitor this page or on our social media such as Facebook or Instagram for the most up to date information. Feel free to email any of our Directors! Stay Safe and Remember the 3 C's.
Updated March.15.2020 - 3 pm
Waterbury Y continues to work with local officials to assess our facility operations and based on the current information we have decided to remain open with regular hours. The status of our facility is everchanging either by the hour, minute, or day. Our Y takes pride in the cleanliness of our facility. Please continue to monitor our Website & Social Media for more updates.
AS OF MARCH 15, 3 PM THE WATERBURY Y HAS THE FOLLOWING AREAS OPEN:
- Wellness Center
- Large Pool (Following the schedule provided)
- Racquetball Courts
Everything else has been closed or postponed until further notice.
Please continue to check on here for more updates!
Updated March.13.2020 - 3 pm
As of 3 PM, the Waterbury YMCA has now postponed:
Youth Sports (Two-Week Hold)*
Swim Lessons (Two-Week Hold)*
Swim Team (Cancelled for the season)
All Group Fitness & Spin Classes, including the MX4 classes, have been canceled. (Two-Week Hold)*
* To be evaluated once we get closer to the Date*
The Following Areas have also Closed
Sauna's (Both in the Men's & Women's Locker Room)
Steam Rooms (Both in the Men's & Women's Locker Room)
The Small Pool until further notice!
The Waterbury y will remain open with the following areas:
- Wellness Center
- Large Pool with Lap and Open Swim (Following guidelines)
- Hot Tub
- Racquetball Courts will remain open.
A message from Jim!
The Greater Waterbury Y’s planning and precautionary measures regarding COVID-19 preparedness. At the YMCA, we are committed to ensuring that our members and their families are safe at our facilities, and in each of our programs. We understand that this public health situation is unprecedented, and conditions and measures are rapidly changing across the state.
The following actions are being taken by the Greater Waterbury YMCA and will remain effective until 4/30/2020. We will continue to update as needed:
Main Facility and Membership:
- Reciprocity and the use of guest passes will be prohibited beginning 3/13/2020 through 4/30/2020.
- Beginning 3/13/2020, our facility will close promptly at 9 PM on weekdays, 5 PM on Saturdays, and 3:30 PM on Sundays to allow our maintenance staff additional time to clean the building as well as the equipment. Members must be out of the facility by these stated times; this is CRITICAL to making sure we can provide the cleanest facility possible. This allows us to work with our evening crew to give a thorough deep cleaning for an extended time.
- The Wellness Center and Pool will close at 8:45 PM on weekdays, 4:45 PM on Saturdays, and 3:15 PM on Sundays to ensure prompt closing at the above stated times.
- We ask all members to bring their own mats for use in the Wellness Center, Group Exercise classes, and pool.
- Child Watch is closed until 04/30/2020.
Preschool and School-Age Child Care
Preschool will continue to operate following the Waterbury Public Schools. If the school district closes, the Y School Readiness program will close as well.
Before and After School care, will continue to operate following the Waterbury and Watertown Public Schools. If the school district closes, the Y School Age Child Care program will close as well.
- We encourage parents to be proactive regarding the potential need to fill child care gaps, and explore the possibility of alternate work schedules or working from home if the necessity arises.
- We are still sorting out the details surrounding credit/refunds if programs are canceled.
Youth Programming: Aquatics, Sports, Swim Teams
Swim lessons, other aquatic programming, and youth programs will continue as scheduled.
The following events have been canceled or postponed until further notice:
Brass City Meltdown Kickoff
Easter Bunny Breakfast @ Camp Mataucha
- Healthy Kids Day
- Rose Hill Multicultural Event
- School Readiness field trips
- Teen Nights
- Birthday Party rentals
- All YMCA facility rentals
- All Senior Programming
- Active Older Adults
- Water Aerobics
- Silver Sneakers classes
We appreciate your patience and cooperation in all of the above measures as we navigate this everchanging scenario. Our goal is for the Y to remain a place of safety and community for all! We will continue to update you on any changes as they become available.
If you have any further questions on how the Greater Waterbury YMCA is handling the response to COVID-19, please feel free to contact me or Mike Tedesco, Senior Director of Operations, at the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
For more information on COVID-19, please visit:
Please continue to check our Website, Mobile App, Facebook, Instagram for more updates!