Active Older Adults
Whether you are looking to drop a few pounds or drop the kids off for a swim, the Greater Waterbury YMCA has a program to meet your needs! With everything from free ChildWatch for members to free weight loss programs, the YMCA is the leader in the community when it comes to identifying a need and providing a solution for individuals and families. From here you will be able to find the YMCA program that will make an impact in your life.
Special Wellness Programs
Seniors - Active Older Adults (AOA) Club)
Come join the AOA Club to get a great workout and meet new friends! The classes are designed to put little stress on your joints and they are appropriate for all fitness levels. Whether you have been working out regularly, or have not worked out in years, these classes will be sure to meet your needs. A chair is optional in all AOA Club classes.
Free for Members OR $35 for AOA Club Pass + $5.00 program fee
AOA Club – Walking Program
Join us in the gym and walk for as long as you like! Participants are allowed to walk for 15 minutes or walk up to the full hour scheduled- you choose! Monday, Wednesday, & Fridays 7:30 – 8:30 am. FREE for members of the Y and / or AOA members. All other participants - $1 donation is suggested.
AOA Club (Silver Sneakers) Muscular Strength and Range of Movement
The instructor will lead you through a variety of exercises designed to increase muscular strength, range of movement, and skills required during activities for daily living. The focus of the class is functional strength training to help you in your every day life.
AOA Club Cardio & Muscle Mix
Enjoy an aerobic workout that is healthy for your heart. Easy to follow steps are designed to give you a safe and fun workout. Resistance tools will be offered for additional muscular conditioning and a chair is used for seated and standing support.
AOA Club Yoga Stretch:
A mix of stretching, meditation, and yoga utilizing a chair.
SilverSneakers® Fitness Program
Join the nation's leading fitness program for older adults at little or no cost beyond your monthly health plan premium. Get fit, have fun, make friends…with the SilverSneakers® Fitness Program!
SilverSneakers® offers an innovative blend of physical activity, healthy lifestyle and socially oriented programming that allows older adults to take greater control of their health. SilverSneakers members receive:
- Membership to the Greater Waterbury YMCA with access to conditioning classes, exercise equipment, pool, sauna and other available amenities
- Access to any participating fitness center throughout the U.S. while traveling
- Customized SilverSneakers classes designed exclusively for older adults who want to improve their strength, flexibility, balance and endurance
- Health education seminars and other events that promote the benefits of a healthy lifestyle
- A specially trained Senior AdvisorSM at the fitness center to introduce you to SilverSneakers and acquaint you with their site
The award-winning SilverSneakers® Fitness Program is a proven, results-oriented program that enables older adults, often burdened with chronic conditions, to take charge of their health and maintain an active, independent lifestyle.
The SilverSneakers® Fitness Program is a winner of the 2004 HAN Award from the Healthcare and Aging Network of the American Society on Aging.
- To find out if your Medicare health plan offers the program, visit www.silversneakers.com or call your health plan's customer service department.
- Check the Active Older Adults Program Schedule for SilverSneakers® Classes